Hangman is all the rage in '06
Arto Saari, Elissa Steamer, Ronnie Creager, Ryan Sheckler, Kyle Leeper, and Eric Fletcher were all in New York City a couple weeks ago for the etnies showroom opening and the 1st installment of the etnies 20th anniversary parties (two more to come in Paris and at etnies’ home in Lake Forest). You’ve probably read all about the carnage, the mini-ramp on the roof, the complaints, etc. here on the website…but let’s add a few things you might not be aware of:
- The KC/DC skateshop mini-ramp in Brooklyn is amazing…if you are ever in Brooklyn, stop by to support a proper shop, and shred the ramp.
- We heard a rumor that Madison Square Garden (home to the Knicks NBA team) was eventually going to be torn down. Whether that is true of not, don’t know, but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to check out Lebron and the Cavs play the NBA’s worst team….might be the only chance to sit in the Garden.
- There was something to do with fire extinguishers the night of the party back at the hotel…we’ll just leave it at that…
- Fake Rolexes…Ronnie and Fletcher just had to have one…Canal St. in Soho is the hotspot.
- There was an autograph signing scheduled at the showroom, but because of terrible weather, the crew just chilled and played hang man on the posters…
- The Empire State Building is f*cking cool…as long as you don’t have to wait hours to get up there. Mandatory if you’ve never ventured to the top.
Since New York…..
Arto, Ali, and Fletcher are all in Barcelona shooting photos with etnies Staff photographer Oliver Barton, and filming for the Flip video. Elissa Steamer also joined them for 10 days, returning home to San Francisco earlier this week. Arto and Ali will be in Europe until the end of May, and Fletcher is coming back early next week. Elissa will be home hoping for good skating weather.
Ronnie has been in Arizona stockpiling photos and footage, and he’ll be doing that for the next couple months. We’ve heard about some of it…wait until you see what he’s got!
Ryan has been busy as usual. After the trip to New York, he flew directly to China for a trip with Oakley. He got back last week, and has been catching up with school, and also skating as much as possible.
Kyle has been home since New York skating, and working towards getting his foot back to 100%. He broke it late last year, and started skating again earlier this year…takes some time to recover from broken bones. He’s doing fine though and will be back at 100% real soon.
Bastien Salabanzi is in France at the moment chillin’ with his family and trying to get his bruised heel back to 100%. Bastien’s had problems with his heel pretty much the entire year. When it has felt better, he’s gone out skating, only to hurt it again…one of the worst bruised heels I’ve encountered in all these years of skating. He is seeing a specialist over there and staying off the board until it heels completely.
Rune Glifberg has been in Southern California making frequent trips to the Block Skatepark in Orange, CA getting ready for the upcoming Pro-Tec Bowl Bash May 11th and 12th. Rune won the contest last year, and hopes to do the same this year…good luck Rune! Like Ryan, he made the trek out to China to film and shoot photos…he finally got to skate the massive Shanghai park, but only twice because of rain. He did say it is pretty damn gnarly though.
Elissa and the city
Conhuir Lynn just celebrated his 19th birthday the other day…Happy Birthday Conhuir! Since it fell on a weekend, he’s had to wait until the weekend to celebrate in style. He’ll be back home for a couple weeks before heading out to Munich for the 1st etnies European Open of the year, May 10th – 12th.